Not all Einsteinians can travel into the future
Pentcho Valev
2016-09-23 17:38:37 UTC
http://news.berkeley.edu/2016/09/20/new-book-links-flow-of-time-with-big-bang/
"Because the future doesn’t yet exist, we can’t travel into the future, he [Richard Muller] asserts."

Most Einsteinians deduce a different conclusion from Einstein's 1905 constant-speed-of-light postulate:

http://www.bourbaphy.fr/damourtemps.pdf
Thibault Damour: "The paradigm of the special relativistic upheaval of the usual concept of time is the twin paradox. Let us emphasize that this striking example of time dilation proves that time travel (towards the future) is possible. As a gedanken experiment (if we neglect practicalities such as the technology needed for reaching velocities comparable to the velocity of light, the cost of the fuel and the capacity of the traveller to sustain high accelerations), it shows that a sentient being can jump, "within a minute" (of his experienced time) arbitrarily far in the future, say sixty million years ahead, and see, and be part of, what (will) happen then on Earth. This is a clear way of realizing that the future "already exists" (as we can experience it "in a minute")."

If, as Muller believes, "the future doesn't yet exist" and "we can’t travel into the future", either Einstein's 1905 constant-speed-of-light postulate is false or the jumping into the future described by Damour is not a deductive consequence of this postulate. Both implications are facts: Einstein's 1905 constant-speed-of-light postulate IS false and the jumping into the future described by Damour IS NOT a deductive consequence of this postulate.

Pentcho Valev
Pentcho Valev
2016-10-01 06:14:59 UTC
Richard Muller's assertion "Because the future doesn't yet exist, we can't travel into the future" actually repudiates Einstein's relativity. I started a discussion about this in Nature:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v537/n7622/full/537616a.html
Physics: Finding the time, Andrew Jaffe, Nature 537, 616 (29 September 2016)

Pentcho Valev